Friday, September 17, 2010

Welcome to A Touch of Vinyl

In 1895 half the homes in the USA had pianos. In today's advanced social media terms you were at that time a producer / consumer. At the time a phonograph player was around but not the common addition to the home it would become later. Price always has some degree affect on how open to acquisition a person or family might be. Today we take the ability to playback pre-recorded music on iPods and the equipment of choice is valued because it is almost invisible. In 2010 we have several methods to do this from a chip / from a tape / from a firmware disc (CD) / from an advanced disc (HDCD, Blue Ray,) or the Long Play Record on a Turntable.  The question is always one of how close to the music do you want to be? When that is the issue you have to move to the LP. That is right the Vinyl 33 1/3 phonograph record. Why? Because it has more information (i.e. sound) on the music recording, 23% in-fact.

Here in this particular corner of the cyber-world where I am King we will review music and for the most part it will be played on my system on a turntable. The equipment I am using is a Pioneer 7 watt per channel class A integrated amplifier. Silver Coated Copper Speaker Cables, and a pair of Silver Coated Copper wired, metal film inductor and 1% Matched pair capacitors, manufactured by Speaker Clone. And  the real magic is a Vintage Marantz 6100 with a Sumiko Blue Point Cartridge.

I have chosen this level of system so that my review is close to your ability to compare my observations with your own. At one time I listened to music on a $250,000.00 system. However, it limited the music that you could listen to due to the accuracy of the system. Some artists became a total joke when listened to on that system. So here I have a good home system similar to what you could find in most homes such that as you read the reviews and listen to the LP yourself we have a connection. I will be telling you my view of the work of music (in many cases I at one time or the other worked with the Artist or group involved. That may add to the story or NOT that is your call). I hope you will follow along and add your input to the dialog.

Check tomorrow for the first review of one of the LPs. Which one I do not know.... will select it from the house collection...............if you have one to suggest do so.........e

1 comment:

  1. I am really looking forward to hearing about the music you like. I need a musical education because I went to public school!

    ReplyDelete